The ins and outs of being a Tenant

    MANOR HOUSE ESTATE will process all information in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and it will be treated as private and confidential now and in the future. The only exceptions to this will be when the law requires us to disclose information or, with your consent, where disclosure is necessary when arranging or servicing your mortgage or protection contracts.

    Who do I contact about my tenancy should any problems arise?

    At the start of your tenancy you will be told who is responsible for the management of the property. If it is MHE Residential you will liaise directly with us.

    In the majority of cases, if repairs are required, we will organise them with your landlord’s consent. We will give you prior notice before any contractor enters the property.

    However, if we are not managing the property on the landlord’s behalf, we cannot authorise any repairs or maintenance to the property and we cannot guarantee the speed at which any repairs will be carried out.

    Who is responsible for contacting the utility companies once I have moved in to the property?

    As the tenant, you are responsible for paying gas, electricity, water and Council Tax.

    You should notify the relevant companies and local authority of the dates you are moving in and out of a property and provide meter readings at the start and end of your tenancy.

    You are also responsible for obtaining a valid television license for the duration of your tenancy.

    Some useful numbers:

    EDF: 0800 0969000
    British Gas: 08456 091122
    Bromley Council Tax: 020 8242 9312
    Thames Water: 08459 200888
    BT: 0800 800150

    How do I pay my rent?

    The first month’s rent must be paid in full before the Tenancy Agreement is signed.

    Rent payment thereafter is payable by standing order and this must be set up with your bank on the rent due date in accordance with your signed tenancy agreement.

    What happens if my rental payment is late?

    If you are having problems with rental payment and know it will be late, you must inform the person who collects your rent.

    The landlord may charge a fine. For example, after 7 days you may be issued an arrears letter for which you will be charged, and for every 7 days after that until the rent is paid.

    You will need to check your tenancy agreement for the specific terms and conditions of your late rental payment.

    If I break my agreement early what will happen?

    You can only end the tenancy early if your landlord agrees. However, they are under no obligation to do so.

    The tenant remains responsible for payment of rent until the end of the tenancy contract or the next break clause.

    If, however the landlord agrees to release you from the contract early then once a new tenant has been found your liability for the rental payment will be reduced pro rata.

    You will be liable to pay any financial loss to the landlord as a result of ending the tenancy contract. Costs may include landlord letting fees and any other landlord expenses associated with re-letting the property.

    How do I give notice on my tenancy if I want to leave?

    You must serve notice in accordance with your tenancy agreement.

    Depending on what is stated in your agreement, notice must be served in writing either on your rent due date or on the same day that your tenancy began, if that is different.

    For example, your rent might be payable on the 1st of each month. But if your tenancy started on 10th of June then the 10th of every following month will be the first day of a period of your tenancy.

    If you have signed a fixed term contract you can leave after the fixed term ends but you must give one clear month’s notice in writing to your Landlord or MHE Residential.

    This period of notice also applies if you are on a rolling tenancy.

    How will my payments cease at the end of my tenancy?

    You must contact your bank and cancel the standing order once you have paid your last month’s rent.

    What shall I do with the keys at the end of the tenancy?

    You must return all sets of keys on the last day of your tenancy to MHE Residential, unless otherwise instructed by your landlord.

    You will be liable for rent on a daily basis if the keys are not returned.

    What expenses should I expect at the end of the tenancy?

    You are responsible for organising professional cleaning of the property including carpets, curtains and oven.

    Any inventory discrepancies between check in and check out could result in deductions being made from your deposit.

    When is my deposit returned to me?

    Once the check-out has been carried out satisfactorily by the inventory clerk and they are happy with the standard of cleanliness, the landlord will instruct MHE Residential to start proceedings with the DPS.

    The money will be returned to your account, less any deductions. This typically takes about 10 working days and no longer than 28 days.

    How do I renew my contract after the first year?

    You should contact MHE Residential 60 days before the end of your fixed term so that we can contact your landlord and arrange the renewal.

    You will need to sign a new tenancy agreement and there will be an administration charge for the renewal.

    Is there any legislation that I should be aware of?

    Check out our Legislation Guide to understand the regulations that apply to your rented property.

    “MHE’s team were knowledgeable and professional from start to finish. Fascinating insights were given and we truly appreciate their hard work. Professional from start to finish.”